What is BSG?
The Business Services Group (BSG) was formed in the spring of 2017 in response to the UVAFinance Appreciative Inquiry process. It is made up of administrative professionals from all departments of UVAFinance. Since our formation we have worked to identify and improve current processes and create efficiencies within our organization. We take a Lean approach, using process mapping tools and the RAPID decision making process to create standard operating procedures for most administrative activities. Each UVAFinance department has one to two ASG representatives who can help you.
Our team is focused on building an infrastructure that improves productivity and efficiency. Organized around basic administrative functions such as finance, purchasing, human resources, physical space, travel and expense, records management, events, budget, and communications, the team is cross-trained, collaborative, and able to support one another.
Our Mission and UVAFinance Core Values
As a team, we provide innovative action and service excellence that improves the productivity and efficiency of the UVAFinance community and enables them to be their best. We support the other UVAFinance core values such as being a collaborative partner. Our Valued, high-performing team works together with UVAFinance departments to accomplish goals and be an impeccable source of information.
BSG is divided into a variety of teams, allowing for specialization and service excellence in each specific area. This helps centralize responsibilities and point of contact. This team system also takes into consideration the importance of backup coverage.
- The Finance Team focuses providing thorough support to Department Approvers in the reconciliation of all UVAFinance Operational Accounts.
- The Procurement Team works on UVAFinance specific purchases such as supplies and/or furniture for employees.
- The Travel & Expense Team assist UVAFinance employees with arranging and paying for travel.
- The Human Resources Team works in conjunction with the UVA Human Resources in a collaborative effort to onboard and off board employees.
- The Space & Communications Team works on updating and communicating with Carruthers Hall employees on renovations, moves, construction, and other building specific needs such as door access and email lists.
- Our Local Support Partners assist UVAFinance Employees with computer issues such as installing new software and troubleshooting issues.
- The Applications Development Team provides consulting, solutions and tools which improve access to data and information for the UVA Finance team.
- The Records Management Team works to organize and maintain UVAFinance data and make sure it is stored and destroyed in a secure manner.
The Business Services Group, also known as the Shared Services Group, works on a variety of projects throughout the year. These projects can range from small office moves or on-boarding new employees to building renovations that affect everyone in Carruthers Hall. These projects can be team specific but more complicated projects require collaboration from multiple ASG teams and managers to get tasks completed. Below is a list of our current projects, which team is responsible for them, and the completion goal.
|Current Projects||Team||Completion Goal|
|Green Initiative||Communication Team||April 1st|
|UVAFinance Employee Directory||Space/Comm Team & Applications Development Team||N/A|
|Supply Management System||Space/Comm Team & Applications Development Team||N/A|
|COOP Plan||Collaborative Effort / HR Team||March 30th|
|Standard Operating Procedures||Combined Collaborative Effort||April 1st|
|Payroll Move (Medical Center and UPG)||Combined Collaborative Effort||April 1st|
|Completed Projects||Team||Completed on|
|Employee Handbook||HR Team||March 15th ✓|
|KACE Installation||LSP Team||March 12th ✓|
|ITS Risk Management Survey||LSP Team||March 1st ✓|
|Budget Re-image||Finance Team||February 28th ✓|
|ASG Website||Communication Team||March 23rd ✓|